[Sca-cooks] Yule Celebrations

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 15:23:27 PST 2007

I haven't made this in a long time, but my Chinese professor some years back
declared it as good as any he ate in China.  It comes from a dinky little
Chinese cookbook I picked up back before I even knew there was an SCA!!  I
made it according to the recipe for a few times, then reworked it to taste
(to my taste!!) more like what I found in Chinese restaurants.  Here 'tis:

Pork roast (or spare ribs)
Five Spice powder
star anise
hoisin sauce
honey
sesame oil
soy sauce
garlic
Chinese rice wine/sake...or if all else fails, sherry

1.  Make a marinade of the five spice powder, star anise, hoisin, honey,
sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic and rice wine.  Pierce the roast with a fork
in several places.  Marinate roast or ribs for at least 8 hours (I usually
do it overnight).

2.  Put a pan of water in the oven under the rack where the roast will be
(helps to keep meat moist.

3.  Put the roast in a shallow roasting pan (I use a pyrex pan) and slather
with hoisin.

4.  Cook for 15-20 minutes, then baste with honey.  Cook for another 15 - 20
minutes and baste with hoisin.  Alternate basting with honey and hoisin
until the roast is cooked through.

5.  Remove it from the oven and allow to rest for about 10 minutes before
slicing and serving.

I'm sorry that I don't know quantities...I've been making this for so long
I've forgotten what they look like.  But you're such a great cook I'm sure
you can figure it out!

Kiri