[Sca-cooks] mysterious query

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 09:24:55 PST 2007

Actually, the concept of a parliament as a part of the English governmental
system goes back much earlier...I know that Queen Elizabeth makes reference
to asking Parliament on several occasions during her reign...in fact,
according to Wikipedia, the first elected parliament was summoned by Simon
de Montfort in 1265.  The election system was refined into creating boroughs
that were represented and resulted in the Model Parliament in 1295 of Edward
I.  Again, according to Wikipedia, Parliament had split into the two houses
as they currently exist by the time of Edward III.  So, it would appear that
Parliament in England has been around for a while.  The Welsh Parliament was
brought into that of England in the 16th century, and James I, successor to
Elizabeth, combined the Scottish Parliament in as well.

Kiri