[Sca-cooks] Haggis, Updated: Less Offal, Tastes Great

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 25 10:51:38 PST 2007

Adele de Maisieres wrote:
> Johnna Holloway wrote:
>

>> The New York Times featured an article on Haggis yesterday
>> http://www.nytimes.com
>> Click on Dining and Food in the in the index on the left.
>>
> Oh gods, not another stupid article about how nasty a traditional haggis
> is...

Despite some "weird good iz icky" rhetoric, overall the writer seems to
imply that haggis is surprisingly good.  I call it Oatmeal dressing with
Lamb Giblets, usually.  <grin>

Have you ever tried my Sweet Haggis?

Adapted from the Scottish Womens' Rural Association Cookery Book.  A
subtletie of sorts, really a steamed oat pudding with no nasty old
sheep-guts.

1/4 lb. beef suet
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups oatmeal
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup cold water
muslin bag to cook it in, stomach-shaped

Toast oatmeal at 400°F for 10 minutes. Skin and chop or grate suet
finely. Mix all ingredients together until soft consistancy. Wet muslin
bag and put mixture into it until more than half full [to allow for
expansion of oatmeal]. Sew or tie up tightly and put it on an old plate
inside a large pot of boiling water. Boil for 3 hours; then serve with
all due ceremony, perhaps accompanied with fake bagpipes and fake poetry.

I use half steel-cut and half rolled oats, the former for chewy
consistancy and the latter for binding power. The true vegetarian crowd
can use shortening in a pinch. I also like to add 1 tsp. mixed spice to
the mix.

Selene