[Sca-cooks] Haggis, Updated: Less Offal, Tastes Great

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jan 25 13:02:05 PST 2007

>Actually, one of the people quoted specifically mentions that the
>"traditional" ingredients are somewhat fluid, and if you look at non-
>Hieland recipes, or any from outside the window of the Highlands of
>the 18th and 19th centuries, these may appear non-traditional in many
>respects (for example, do they call for suet or not, or what spices
>do they use in addition to black pepper -- mine uses pepper only, and
>invariably gets raves).

That's fair enough-- it's primarily the idea that offal is yucky that I
find objectionable.  (Mmmm... haggis with plenty  of pepper...)

>>  And there
>>are some weird statements about the taste (like liver pate,
>>according to
>>one commenter) and about haggis being an acquired taste.
>>

>Not from the author. He's a reporter, not an evangelist. I don't see
>this as being either part of the solution or part of the problem.
>Rather, it acknowledges a problem, explores some possible reasons for
>the problem, and explains what some people are doing about it.

Yes, he's a reporter, but he's also made some conscious decisions about
exactly what to report.  I mean, presumably, if you looked for them, you
could find a bunch of commenters who think that haggis is delicious and
that the old-fashioned kind is best and report on that.

>I can't get
>sheep lungs, so I have to improvise. I find a small amount of pork
>spleens (Italian and Chinese butchers, as well as serious French
>butchers, sell these, sometimes calling them "milts") makes a good
>substitute to give greater dimension than you'd get by simply
>omitting the lungs.

Lungs have been banned from sale here, too, although if you're in the
know, they can sometimes be procured.

>haggis
>_does_ have a pretty bad reputation in many parts of the world. I'm
>glad to have made the converts I have.

Maybe.  I've only seen a lot of negative comments from North Americans.

>> Now for a few remarks based on my personal experience:
>>Good haggis, well-made with the traditional ingredients is delicious.
>>It tastes nothing like pate-- if anything, it's a bit like a meatloaf
>>with a coarse, crumbly texture.
>>

>I aim for a texture somewhere between a moist pilaf and a hash, myself.

I concur-- your description is better than mine.  I like a more
granular, pilaf-y texture myself, but that's purely a matter of taste.

>>  Many people who try it like it
>>immediately, and, conversely, it mainly has a bad reputation amongst
>>people who have never tried it.
>>

>Not unlike garum and the films of Kevin Smith in that respect.

:-)

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,