[Sca-cooks] OT - Blondie recipe

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Jan 27 20:25:32 PST 2007

I've actually had this happen. We used to make these at home in the
bottom of the broiler pan. I think my mom just did a double batch for that
size pan. I set out to make a batch in different sized
pan up here and they didn't turn out. I think we ate them over ice cream
in the end.
Gooey in the middle. I went back the next time and used the recipe in
the Nestle
Choc Chip cookbook. They turned out ok. I think that they are prone to
problems unless
one using fresh baking powder, eggs, butter, etc. Butter also and not
watery oleo these days too.
Size of the eggs might matter.
The recipe on Nestle's webpage is

*Ingredients: *

    * 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    * 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
    * 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
    * 3 large eggs
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate
      Morsels
      <http://www.verybestbaking.com/products/tollhouse/morsels.aspx>

*Directions:*
*PREHEAT* oven to 350° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.

*COMBINE* flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Beat sugar and
butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla
extract; gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels. Spread into
prepared pan.
*BAKE* for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool in pan on
wire rack.
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=29893

Looks simple but apparently enough people have trouble with them that
Cooks Illustrated did
an entire article on deconstructing them back in July 2005.

Hope this helps

Johnnae