[Sca-cooks] Biersuppen

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Jan 30 01:37:49 PST 2007

From Rumpolt.  27. Biersuppen mit Eyerdottern
su:eß gemacht/ vnnd mit Butter auffsieden
lassen/ machs gelb oder nicht/ vnd wenns auffgesotten hat/ so saltzs ein wenig.

(my translation, I could be wrong)  Beer soup
with egg yolks make sweet/ and with butter
(auffsieden = boil?)  /make yellow or not/ and
when it has (auffgesotten =boiled?)/ salt a
little.

Has anyone tried this?  Would "make yellow" mean saffron or perhaps safflower?

How much alcohol is left in the soup, is it
something we could serve at feast?  What happens
to the cook standing over the pan breathing the
fumes? :)

Modern recipes are quite similar, but usually
have flour, milk, and cinnamon too.

Ranvaig