[Sca-cooks] Biersuppen

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jan 30 10:25:36 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 04:37:49AM -0500, ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:
> >From Rumpolt.  27. Biersuppen mit Eyerdottern
> su:e? gemacht/ vnnd mit Butter auffsieden
> lassen/ machs gelb oder nicht/ vnd wenns auffgesotten hat/ so saltzs ein wenig.
>
> (my translation, I could be wrong)  Beer soup
> with egg yolks make sweet/ and with butter
> (auffsieden = boil?)  /make yellow or not/ and
> when it has (auffgesotten =boiled?)/ salt a
> little.
>
> Has anyone tried this?

I haven't tried it, but I note that someone on the web has:
http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Beer%20soup

Beer soup
Categories: Soups
Yield: 1 Servings
1 		Bottle of beer
4 	ounce 	Sugar
4 		Egg yolks
1 	ounce 	Butter
Mix beer with yolks and sugar in a jug. Pour into saucepan and beat with
rotary whisk, until it boils. Remove from heat at boiling point, add
butter and serve with a garnish of parsley and paprika. Taken from:
Early Settlers Household Lore - Sovereign Hill Ballarat.
By Léon Brocard / Last updated January 2007

I'm thinking that if you mixed the beer with the eggs before heating, it
_should_ thicken evenly, rather than scrambling... but I don't know.
Master A, what do you think?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net