[Sca-cooks] galingale/galanga/galangal

prescotj at telusplanet.net prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Jan 10 21:44:33 PST 2007

OED does indeed mention both under the "galingale" heading.  The
earliest citation the OED gives under the East Indian plant is
1000.  The earliest under the English sedge version (which is
said to have similar properties) is 1578.

I think it a good bet that most, though perhaps not all, period
references to galingale are to the (imported) East Indian spice.

Thorvald