[Sca-cooks] Thank you and 2 more questions....

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 1 20:57:39 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
ended
up using veggie broth and all came out well. (I thought)  Next time I
am in Wilkes Barre PA or Philadelphia I will get a few bottles of
kosher to keep on hand.... which leads me to another question: How
long does open wine keep?  (And don't say, like DH, that wine is
already spoiled, so what could happen?)  Doesn't open wine get
stale?  (I don't drink)...and I wonder if kosher wine comes in those
vacuum pack boxes??  ...must investigate......  (OK that was 2
questions)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Phillipa < < < < < < <

Two common enemies of opened wine: oxidation and infection.  Oxidation makes
it taste "off" and eventually like wet cardboard.  Infectuions happen that
will cause it to turn sour, into vinegar very often.  My experience is that
You can keep stoppered wine in the fridge for a week or two.  You can use
for cooking for a couple of weeks more, maybe.  Less air exposure means
longer life.

If you put it gently into a sanitized smaller bottle with less surface area
exposed to air, then you get longer shelf life life, in terms of adding
days, not weeks.

niccolo