[Sca-cooks] Pies that require long cooking vs crust made with butter.

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 3 13:34:17 PST 2007

I never liked the bottom crust of the pie until I started making the crust
and filling separately.  Here is how I do it.  Your Mileage May Vary.

I make pie crust with butter ... same as others here.  I bake it, lining the
inside with foil and pour in some dried beans so that I get a nice flat
crust shell, for about 15 - 20 min, until it is just starting to tan up
(glass pie pans are a gift from the creator, and proof that the creator
wants us to be happy.

I prepare the pie filling ... cook the apples or whatever in water until
they are tender, drain off and save the water.  Use enough water to make
simple syrup, add whatever spices and what-not to make a pie filling.  Pour
filling into the pre-baked crust.  Refrigerate.

If a double-crust pie is desired, bake the top crust inside a second pie
pan.  Just cut the shell half way up the interior side of the pan.  Invert
cooled shell onto the top of the filled pie.  Lattice tops are SO much
easier done this way, but since the strips are not as dense as the pie shell
… watch it closer in the oven.

For custard-like pies I generally use a crumb crust.  After a childhood
spent in sops for breakfast, I can not stand the soggy bread feel of a pie
crust.

If one prefers the pie warm (as when adding a heaping scoop of ice cream), a
quick trip through the microwave is all it takes.

Cheers

Malkin
Otherhill
Artemisia

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
jo_foster81 at hotmail.com

Never knock on death's door........ Ring the doorbell and run. He hates
that.