[Sca-cooks] Candied Citrus Peel

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 5 15:31:48 PST 2007

>Wow! Where did you find Seville Oranges? Here in Los Angeles we can
>only get California oranges, most Navel, along with the occassional
>blood orange.
>
>I've candied grapfruit peel - it's wonderful but needs at least 3 boilings.
>
>Renata ::whose Mom's blood orange tree, planted 25+ years ago has
>never grown an inch, put out or lost any leaves and has never
>flowered... :( ::

The Berkeley Bowl has them every year in January and February
(sometimes a bit longer). They're grown in California, and I bet you
can find them in LA if you go to a specialty produce market. I only
gave them three boilings and three soakings, and they taste pretty
good, although i suspect they'd be more tender with a longer period
of processing.
http://ripetoyou.com/Availability.aspx
If you click on each type of fruit, it takes you to a page with a
photo of that fruit and some info about it.

They even sell on-line, for those of you not in California who want
to try the unbelievable number of different kinds of citrus they
have. However (from their website):
>Please note:
>The Arizona and Hawaii Agricultural Departments prohibits the
>shipment of any citrus fruits into their states.
>The States of Texas, Louisiana & Florida prohibit the shipment of
>any citrus fruits with leaf attached.

Meanwhile, back at the Berkeley Bowl - it has several different kinds
of blood oranges, a vast multitude of different kinds of small
orange-like things (tangerines, tangelos, mandarin oranges,
clementines, etc.), two kinds of kumquats, Meyer lemons, thick
skinned lemons, limes, Key limes, Persian limes (look like lemons,
only are not sour), Palestine sweet limes/lemons (haven't tried these
yet), Buddha hand citrons, bergamot oranges, about 4 different kinds
of grapefruits, pomelos, and the usual standard Valencia and navel
oranges. When in season they have kaffir limes (the lumpy green
citrus fruit which leaves and grated peel are used in Thai food)...

But no ugli fruit :-(

No jeruk nipis... but they do sell calamansi juice in the cooler
case. Calamansi is the Pilipino name for what is called jeruk nipis
in Indonesia. These look like limes, but are rounder, until you cut
into them, because the pulp is orange, and the flavor is a wonderful
combination of lime, lemon, and tangerine, but the juice needs to be
sweetened.

Given the long list of citrus available from "Ripe to You", i bet The
Bowl gets a lot of their citrus from them.

I used two different kinds of lemons and gave them two boilings and
two soakings, before the syrup boil. The Meyer lemons made FABULOUS
candied peel. But the more generic thick skinned lemons, which
smelled fantastic, tasted medicinal and a bit like Pledge... i think
if i sugar coat them (literally), they'll be tolerable.

I'm not sure how the Bergamot oranges will turn out - bergamot is
what gives Earl Grey tea its distinctive flavor. Because i've been
sick all week i didn't start making the peels long enough ago. I
wanted to do the 9 day thing, but have only done a 2-1/2 day thing. I
made slices leaving the pulp in. They've been partially candied, i
need to give them another boil in intense syrup. I've already tried
them, in their incomplete state. The pulp and pith taste delicious,
but the outer skin tastes resinous, bitter, and medicinal. They'd
probably have benefited from the 9-day method.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita