[Sca-cooks] sugar cane

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 5 15:40:09 PST 2007

You've got it.  Sugarcane is a segmented grass with the sap (cane juice)
contained in the segments.  An individual segment or small group of segments
is a fine shipping container, which is why you can sometimes find sugar cane
in the groceries as you can sometimes find whole coconuts.

And yes, it is related to rattan, but the structure seems closer to bamboo.

As a small aside, Smuckers is producing some soft drinks, ginger ale,
vanilla cream soda, root beer, etc., with evaporated cane juice rather than
high fructose corn syrup.  They've got great flavor.

Bear