[Sca-cooks] hot and sour soup

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 10 18:35:38 PST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 9:20 PM, Devra at aol.com wrote:

> If you have happened to make twice-cooked pork, which is simmered
> in water
> before stir-frying, the resultant broth makes a sublime base for
> hot-and-sour
> soup. Too bad you can't get pork broth in cans.
>     Devra

True. I was amazed to discover turkey broth in cans this autumn.

Pork broth made from the cuts traditionally used for twice-cooked
pork (assuming a particular identity for a dish first simmered, then
chilled, sliced and stir-fried, rather than the million other Chinese
pork dishes with a multiple cooking process) is excellent because it
generally contains flesh, skin and bones. Of course, you have to skim
the bejeezus out of it (to remove fat), and probably reduce it
substantially because you'll have removed the pork before the stock
becomes really viable, but it is tasty. It's one of those Southern
Chinese grandma dishes, but rarely something you'd see in a restaurant.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04