[Sca-cooks] galingale/galanga/galangal

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 11 08:29:52 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
my days
in Thailand I remember Laos (Chinese Keys) as being long, white or pale
brown and finger like whilst Galanga was a larger root with a pink tinge.

Galanga reminded me of rattan with a really hot, sharp flavour... I love the
stuff, especially used in brewing... And it's a part of one of my commonly
made Thai dishes, Chicken and Coconut Milk Soup. < < < SNIP < < < <  <

Long time no see . . .  hear . . . read, Drakey.

I did a quick look again at Katzer's spice pages, and he refers to
Fingerroot (Boesenbergia pandurata (Roxb.) Schltr.)(Chinese Key) as a
different thing from what he cites as Laos ('nother name for greater
galangal).  I don't know exactly what it is you are working with exactly,
but there are pictures and descriptions on his pages.  Either way, it does
seem that there are two things out there, one being a ginger-looking rhizome
and one benig a multi-fingered or tendriled rhizome.  The bichemistry seems
similar enogh to be related, but different enough to taste different in
cooking.

Man, I wish we could get these fresh more often locally.  I need to look at
the propagation and see if I can actually grow these in my yard to see if
the taste is palatable in my dirt.  We aren't exactly SE Asia here in West
Georgia, USA, but i may be possible if ginger can be grown..

niccolo difrancesco