[Sca-cooks] teaching feast?

Jehan-Yves jehan.yves at signofthetiger.com
Wed Jan 17 20:41:25 PST 2007

At 10:49 PM 1/17/2007, you wrote:
>Teaching feast?  Is this the first one or has your group done this
>before?  How is this run?
         This will be a first for our Shire. All that I've been told
so far, is that The Cooks are asked to address the diners and explain
what the course is, where the dishes came from (source), why these
particular dishes were chosen, Etc. as the course is served. There
isn't really enough room in the kitchen to hold classes there with
dayboard prep and two of the courses being cooked.
         We have worked out most of the co-ordination for cooking
space. The first course will be a cold Greek platter set-up that is
all pre-cooked. The last course is a dessert board, again all
pre-cooked. My second course is going to be a lamb dish (lucked into
60 + pounds at $0.60 a pound), Mushroom Tarts, and Parsnips. The
third course cook is doing Italian. He hasn't decided what dishes
yet, but we have two commercial Vulcan six burner stove / ovens and
one regular household kitchen stove / oven available, so we should be
able to fit it all in.

Jehan-Yves