[Sca-cooks] Murri

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 18 16:11:59 PST 2007

On Jan 18, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Lilinah wrote:

> Adamantius wrote:
>> Pisalat is alive and well and living in Nice, Marseilles, etc. That's
>> a little more like halec than liquamen (IOW, a paste rather than a
>> clear liquid), I guess, but the process is pretty much the same and
>> the flavor is similar.
>
> I guess that's one of the reasons i love Southern French food so
> much... all those little "rotted" fish sneaking into so many savory
> dishes.
>
> See, i've got a computer folder for modern recipes. In it i've got
> sensible folders, such as (but far from a complete list):
> Dairy
> Eggy
> Nutty
> Tofu
> Meaty (in which i have red meat, fowl, and piscatory delights)
>
> ... And i have a separate folder called "Anchovies!"
>
>> I had forgotten about the allegations of murri (or its ingredients)
>> being carcinogenic, but somehow missed the details on why this turns
>> out to be untrue.
>
> Lemme look at the LA Times texts. My recollection is that Perry sent
> his murri out to be tested, ISTR, for aflatoxins...
>
>> I know that consumption of  the solid cakes that
>> are a by-product of soy sauce production has been linked to China
>> having the highest per capita incidence of stomach cancer in the
>> world. Has that been disproven as well?
>
> AFAIK, this is still true. Of course, the Japanese also make soy
> sauce, and i haven't heard they have a parallel problem there, but
> maybe it just hasn't been as widely reported.

Could be. Among other potentially useful factoids is the fact that
the data I referenced is probably at least 20 years old (but then how
old is Perry's?), and also that China has, overall, much higher
tobacco use per capita than most parts of the world, so I guess it's
possible we have (or had) people eating the "rotted" grain and/or soy
cakes, smoking four or five packs a day, and coming down with stomach
cancer. What a shock! Those terrible bean cakes!

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04