[Sca-cooks] Tandoori oven

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 20 08:16:25 PST 2007

Saint Phlip wrote:

>Anybody got a set of instructions for building one?

I found a few on the Web that might interest you.  (Linguistic
digression: "tandoor" is the name of the oven; "tandoori" is an
adjective describing the food.  Kinda like the difference, in American
cuisine, between "smoker" and "smoked".)

I Googled: 'build tandoor oven' and found three sites that looked useful.

The most detailed site is a British one.  He went with the most
expensive solution: buying a commercially produced tandoor liner.  I
have no idea if these are available in the U.S.
http://piers.thompson.users.btopenworld.com/index.html

This one is not as detailed, but does use a large terracotta flowerpot
as a substitute for a commercial tandoor liner
http://www.poptastic.com/build.php?tt_page=article&article=3

This one uses fire cement inside an oil drum
http://www.poptastic.com/build.php?tt_page=article&article=3

Good luck!

--

Brighid ni Chiarain