[Sca-cooks] Rabbit meat source

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 21 12:01:43 PST 2007

On Jan 21, 2007, at 1:54 PM, Saint Phlip wrote:

> On 1/21/07, Lawrence Bayne <shonsu_78 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I got used to cheap rabbit meat as a youngster. We had
>> 150 working does on the farm. At any one time we might
>> have 1000 rabbits on the place. Raised em up for meat
>> and skins. Now I can't even find a sustainable supply
>> EVEN at an astoundingly high price.
>> YIS
>> Lothar
>
> I'm surprised you can continue to eat it. Here in the EK, I have a
> friend who was raised, fairly poor, on a chicken farm, so most of what
> he ate as a kid was chicken. Any time you want him to give you the
> Evil Eye, invite him over for a chicken dinner ;-) Master Ekk,
> Adamantius ;-)

Funny, I know of eat least two other people who were not raised on
chicken farms, but who acquired an almost visceral, pathological
aversion to chicken in almost any form after various ill-advised well-
wishers took them on tours of chicken processing plants as children.
I imagine much the same forces are at work in all of these cases.

See an ordinary chicken, walking around, scratching for worms, no
problem. See one in the supermarket, again, no big deal. Yum. Sauce
chasseur.

See lots of them getting slaughtered and eviscerated, or see a lot of
them sick with various unpleasant ailments, maybe get a good whiff of
a henhouse that needed to be cleaned out a week ago, and certainly
all of the above, that becomes an entirely different, and presumably
traumatic, experience for some. And perhaps many ;-).

Adamantius, secure in the knowledge that someone will soon reply to
this using Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life" Magic Woids of the day,
and win a virtual cigar...

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04