[Sca-cooks] Burger Battle

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 16:41:18 PST 2007

Volker Bach wrote:

> If it originated in Persia, how do we get t Roman 'Isicia'?
>
> I'd suspect rather that once you have leftover meat and chop it, you'll find
> out fairly soon that it can be made into balls, patties or meatloaf. Asking
> who invented it makes as much sense as asking who invented pancakes.

    It is really quite simple. First of all the Roman's introduced
everything to all of Europe but in Spain at least the Vandals and the
Visigoths were barbarians who overthrew Spain and forgot all that. The
Arabs actually never invented anything but copied the best of all the
worlds they conquered so they used the Spanish weeds called asparagus
growing in wild in that country and reintroduced many other Roman
innovations. They wrote a lot so as hamburgers, they 'invented' them
when indeed our colleague found the hamburger seems to be documented in
Roman Isicia.
    I am with you that hamburger could have been a cave man invention
but not leftovers until the 20th century when dentistry could prevent
tooth decay. One of the most ridiculous movies I saw in my life was
Henry VIII eating roast beef off a bone. Now tell me how is he going to
do that in the 16th Century when people had few teeth after the age of 20?
    So my Spanish medieval recipes are chop. chop, chop, mince, mince,
mince once the animal is hung overnight to get rid of the evil spirits!
    Who invented pancakes? Of course the Arabs cause they claim to be
the first to write that down! Catalina di Medicis only took them to
France cause the Spaniards got the recipe out of Al Andalus and took it
to their domains in Italy. The French invented nothing. Their best
recipes came from Persia via Cordoba of course!
    By the way I am told there are very bad feelings about Arab people
in the states right now. :-! ? I hope you people understand that most
Spaniards have Arab blood because of the long occupation of those people
in Spain. They understand Arabs much better than any other European
country as well as Israel as they have a lot of Jewish blood as well. I
have close ties with many and very fine friends from Northern Africa and
the Middle East who are better educated and more cultured than I. Being
able to call these people friends is a privilege for me and of course
thanks to their occupation in Al Andalus we are able to trace some of
the finest recipes in the world.
Susan