[Sca-cooks] mysterious query

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 24 08:22:56 PST 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> So, I would say that Blackmore's use of "parliament" as the name of
> a kind of gingerbread
> cookie was very anachronistic, since 'Lorna Doone' was set two
> hundred years earlier.

Can you expand on this thought a little? I mean, there _was_ an
English Parliament in the late seventeenth century (and it was
certainly on everybody's mind during and after the English Civil
War), as well as a Scottish Parliament until 1707 (and some sources
pretty aggressively suggest a connection to Scotland for the cakes),
and hadn't England already begun the early prototypes for that whole
Triangular Trading thing (which made treacle more of a commodity), so
what, specifically, makes you consider this an anachronism?

I have no idea, myself, one way or the other, apart from the probable
and comparative lack of recipes for cakes so designated in the time
period in question. I was just curious as to your reasoning.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04