[Sca-cooks] mysterious query

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 01:33:28 PST 2007

My reasoning?  Since the cookie doesn't appear until 1812 or so and the book was written in
the 1860's with a setting of the 1660's, then the use of the cookie is anachronistic.  It
has nothing to do with an actual parliament, either English or Scottish.  The reference
in the book is about cookies not parliament.

Huette

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:
>
> > So, I would say that Blackmore's use of "parliament" as the name of
> > a kind of gingerbread
> > cookie was very anachronistic, since 'Lorna Doone' was set two
> > hundred years earlier.
>
> Can you expand on this thought a little? I mean, there _was_ an
> English Parliament in the late seventeenth century (and it was
> certainly on everybody's mind during and after the English Civil
> War), as well as a Scottish Parliament until 1707 (and some sources
> pretty aggressively suggest a connection to Scotland for the cakes),
> and hadn't England already begun the early prototypes for that whole
> Triangular Trading thing (which made treacle more of a commodity), so
> what, specifically, makes you consider this an anachronism?
>
> I have no idea, myself, one way or the other, apart from the probable
> and comparative lack of recipes for cakes so designated in the time
> period in question. I was just curious as to your reasoning.
>
> Adamantius
>

> "S'ils n'ont pas de pain, vous fait-on dire, qu'ils  mangent de la
> brioche!" / "If there's no bread to be had, one has to say, let them
> eat cake!"
>      -- attributed to an unnamed noblewoman by Jean-Jacques Rousseau,
> "Confessions", 1782
>
> "Why don't they get new jobs if they're unhappy -- or go on Prozac?"
>      -- Susan Sheybani, assistant to Bush campaign spokesman Terry
> Holt, 07/29/04

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/