[Sca-cooks] Haggis, Updated: Less Offal, Tastes Great

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jan 25 11:17:18 PST 2007

>Uh, no, actually. I didn't get that sense at all. Mostly it's about
>how haggis has changed, and why. It does include some opinions from
>various people about how some version are considered nasty and what
>people have done to change that impression, and it also covers
>American variants based on difficulty in obtaining things like lungs.
>But none of it is expressed as value judgement on the part of the
>author of the article or the paper.

No, indeed, it's not expressed as a value judgement on the part of the
author.  But the article is pretty well focused on how various people
make haggis with very little of the traditional ingredients.  And there
are some weird statements about the taste (like liver pate, according to
one commenter) and about haggis being an acquired taste.  And the author
_does_ lard the article with comments about haggis's "august reputation
for repulsiveness" and the like.

Now for a few remarks based on my personal experience:
Good haggis, well-made with the traditional ingredients is delicious.
It tastes nothing like pate-- if anything, it's a bit like a meatloaf
with a coarse, crumbly texture.  Many people who try it like it
immediately, and, conversely, it mainly has a bad reputation amongst
people who have never tried it.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,