[Sca-cooks] A Cookie by Any Other Name

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jan 25 16:15:57 PST 2007

Cookie appears in the 18th century according to OED
C. 1730 Burt /Lett. N. Scot./ (1760) II. xxiv. 272 In the Low-Country
the Cakes are called Cookies.
OED notes that it's prob. from the Dutch /koekje/
of /koek/ cake: this is apparently certain for U.S.;
but for Scotland historical evidence has not been found.
The word  does occur in Scotland where it's the usual name for a baker's
plain bun; in U.S. usually a small flat sweet cake
(a /biscuit/ in U.K.), but locally a name for small cakes of various
form with or without sweetening.
There are all sorts of 17th century recipes like Digby's Excellent small
Cakes. There's an entire section that Karen Hess notes are cookies in
all but name in Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery. These are labeled
sugar cakes in S143 and S144. [Given our modern definitions, One might
argue that wafers are cookies which would clearly make them medieval.]
Peter G, Rose goes into the Dutch aspects in The Sensible Cook.They were
baking Koeckjens [cookies] for the Native American trade by the 1650's.
This is explored further in Matters of Taste.
But Amelia Simmons by publishing her recipes and calling them cookies
in the first American cookbook written by an American set the stage for
making them uniquely ours.

Johnnae