[Sca-cooks] Biersuppen

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Jan 30 02:47:02 PST 2007

Am Dienstag, 30. Januar 2007 13:55 schrieb Terry Decker:
> "And let it simmer with butter to make it yellow or not".  The butter is
> the coloring agent.
>
> While boil is a valid translation where you have it, I would choose the
> word simmer instead.

Unfortunately, the recipe doesn't indicate that connection. The soup will
probably end up yellow anyway, including both butter and egg, but there is no
causal relationship, just a sequence of imperatives (typical for German
recipe style). 'Make it yellow' is common in German period recipes and may
refer to saffron, though it is not always specified as such.

Aufsieden is the kind of 'coming to a boil' where the surface stirs and rises,
at least in the majority interpretation over here. I think you'd render it
'bring to a boil'.

Modern beer soup, made very similarly, has a relatively low alcohol content -
under 3% - but it is by no means alcohol-free. That also depends on what kind
of beer you start out with. German brews are rather more robust than much
that sells in the States, I hear.

Giano