[Sca-cooks] Grains of Paradise

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 1 01:01:34 PST 2007

Slavery was uncommon, but not unknown.  In 1434, the Portuguese introduced
African slaves into Europe.  The trade seriously expanded in the early 16th
Century as the Portuguese opened plantations in Brazil.  Pope Nicholas V
authorized the Portuguese to "attack, subject and reduce to perpetual
slavery the Saracens, pagans and other enemies of Christ southward from Cape
Bajador and Non including all the coast of Guinea" in 1514.

The English and the Dutch began raiding Portuguese slavers and selling the
human plunder into the Caribbean.  John Hawkins got his start raiding
Portuguese slavers in 1562 and was backed by Elizabeth in his ventures in
1564.  The trade continued to expand and the various plantation systems of
the New World demanded a steady stream of replacable labor.

The inital cost of purchasing a slave tended to limit their purchase to the
wealth and to extremely profitable, but lethal enterprises.  The less well
to do hired their servants or retained them in what is occasionally referred
to as "bastard feudalism."  Indentured servitude is largely a product of the
17th Century.

Bear