[Sca-cooks] Another little snippet on cold-weather foods...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 22 13:09:36 PST 2007

Probably not an earth-shattering piece of info for some, but in the
so-simple-it's-a-crime-I-never-thought-of-it-before department, I'm
making some stuffed cabbage rolls using a cabbage previously frozen
(as in placed in the bag I bought it in in the supermarket produce
section and tossed it in the freezer), and defrosted for a few hours
in its bag on the countertop...

No more blanching, peeling off a few leaves, and blanching again,
peeling, etc. The leaves are still quite green, very flexible, and
taste sweet.

Come to think of it, doesn't Le Menagier say something about cabbages
and the first frost? I'll have to check later...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04