[Sca-cooks] OT - field trip to Jungle Jim's

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jul 5 13:35:13 PDT 2007

Last week we made a field trip.. drove two hours to Cincinatti Ohio, to visit Jungle Jim's.  Why drive that far for a grocery store?  Well.. its a six acre grocery store.  Maybe there is a bigger grocery somewhere, but I've never heard of it.  Its not as big as a Walmart, but it's ALL food.

When you walk in there is a "American" grocery section, and a sushi bar, a deli, a cheese shop, a wine and beer section (their cold beer section is a walk in cooler), a bakery, a butcher with various usual meats, a wine store, a huge produce section with every sort of international produce, a seafood section with live fish, and a cookware store.  Then a huge international section, with an Indian grocery, and a Hispanic grocery, an Asian grocery, a European village with English, German, Scandinavian, Greek, etc groceries.  If you can buy it anywhere in the US, they probably have it.

Its a fun place with animatronics , stop lights, a firetruck over the hot sauce section (They have nearly 1000 sauces, including a locked shelf with "adult theme" hot sauce).

This was my second visit.  Each time we spent 3 hours in the store, and left entirely overwhelmed, and I still havent been through every section of the store.  I went there the first time because other head cooks in our area bought stuff for feast there, and I wanted to check out prices.

I wish I lived closer, but on the other hand, its probably good for my wallet that I don't.

Ranvaig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Jim's_International_Market
http://www.junglejims.com/