[Sca-cooks] sugar and rice in Iberia

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Jul 14 05:40:12 PDT 2007

Sugar cane however is a grass. Bring a few stalks along, plant it
in the nice tropical climate when you arrive and it takes over, provided
it has water. (One of the things they did in the 19th century in Hawaii
was to move
into massive irrigation projects with long ditches and aqueducts that
transported
water from the wet slopes down to the drier areas so that the cane
fields could be
expanded. They also built railroads to transport the raw cane to the
boiling house
and the sugar to the port for shipment.)
According to Sugar Islands by Dorrance, the raw cane was chewed for
energy and sustenance
by the native Hawaiians.
Sugar processing is more complicated than leaving the syrup out to
evaporate.
http://www.sucrose.com/lcane.html hints at its complexity.

Johnnae