[Sca-cooks] sugar

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 16:50:59 PDT 2007

Stefan wrote:
> . . .the early Polynesians brought sugar cane with them to the
> islands of Hawaii. They did not however process the cane into sugar. So while cane grew
> freely and quite well in the tropical climate there, the sugar processing
> didn't begin until the 19th century. Just because one has the plant available doesn't mean
> that one processes it into the products we do today.

My info is . . . Some historians maintain that it is known to have been
cultivated in New Guinea in 7000 BC. While others such as Garcia Maceira
maintains that it originated in Bengala in western India.   It spread to
India and the Philippines. Around 3,000 BC, the plant was brought to
Egypt along the trade routes from Asia. There Egyptians developed sugar
milling techniques still used today like clarification and evaporation.
The treaty of _Simple Medicines_/ /by Ibn Al-Baytar maintains that this
product came from India and Arabia. Pliny, Dioscorides and Galan mention
it. A Hindu document dated 500 AD indicates that Indians were making
molasses and crystalline balls of sugar by boiling the cane. It was
cultivated and produced in Persia and at the same time in areas of the
Southern Mesopotamia and Khuzistan, a province in SW Iran, still noted
for its sugar cane production. . . .
    You've got a good point Stefan. If my New Guienians can't process
sugar why did they cultivate it? I do think I remember finding they ate
it raw off the cane but I have never tried that have any of you? What's
it like? Why would we want to cultivate sugar cane if we can't process it?
     Joanna many thanks  your citation on processing sugar

http://www.sucrose.com/lcane.html
but am I in 13th century, my sugar is brown not white. Don't understand why you say processing is 17th century, we were doing something with it long before that. What is the difference?
	By the way I have been using only brown sugar of late when I cook as I only prepare 13-15th century dishes. I find it much richer.
Suey