[Sca-cooks] Foods for hot weather....

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 18 13:34:00 PDT 2007

On Jul 18, 2007, at 3:59 PM, Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> Oh, of course I can't remember which source it's in now, but I know
> there  is
> a "dish mete for summer" in one of the sources I have ; if I remember
> correctly it is a cold chicken liver dish that specifies it is for
> supper in the
> summer.

MS Arundel 334 (which I think is part of Two Fifteenth-Century
Cookery-Books), according to the Concordance of English Recipes. I
believe the recipe is for generic giblets, including livers,
gizzards, combs, possibly heads, necks and feet. Yeah, I'd probably
leave out the heads, too.

Along similar lines, I'd refer to any of the Chicken In Cold Sage
recipes, and I seem to recall a recipe for sliced beef with vinegar
and parsley in Le Menagier, and a 15th century English recipe for
poached perch, also served with vinegar and parsley, as with the
giblet dish above.

Adamantius