[Sca-Cooks] Pasties article in the new T.I.

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jul 27 12:28:20 PDT 2007

I assume from the lack of anguished howls on the list that nobody
else has read it yet.

The author wants to make Cornish pasties in the SCA. She is unable to
find any period recipes for pasties. She finds several passages in
period literature that refer to "pasties," with no explanation of
what the term means; one of them, from Shakespeare, refers to people
having "a pasty" to dinner, which pretty clearly has to be something
bigger than a Cornish pasty.

So she combines a modern pastry recipe out of a secondary source, no
period source given, with the filling from Le Menagier's mushroom
tarts, makes them in the form of a Cornish pasty, and having so
"documented" pasties proceeds to give a second recipe derived by
taking a modern recipe for Cornish pasty and replacing the potatoes
by turnips.

And T.I. publishes it.

As it happens, Chiquart has a pasty recipe--which, needless to say,
has very little in common with either of hers.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com