[Sca-cooks] OOP: Flame that Kitchen Aid

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 7 09:50:46 PDT 2007

On Jul 7, 2007, at 1:08 AM, Susan Fox wrote:

> On 7/6/07 7:40 PM, "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
> <adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> I STR that the legendary novice nun/martial artist Wing Chun is often
>> popularly believed to have been a noodle and bean curd maker and
>> vendor before it became necessary for her to learn to defend herself,
>> and some of her mixing and kneading techniques have been alleged to
>> have been incorporated into the martial arts system that bears her
>> name.

<snip>

> I need to go look up Wing Chung now.  Byeee!

The standard legend is "Enough" meets "Seven Samurai". Bandit
chieftain threatens to destroy village unless the daughter of the
local beancurd seller is handed over to him in marriage, and he will
return in one month, or some such, for a response. Enter itinerant
female monk, who offers a third option in the form of self-defense
training. Yim Wing Chun becomes the student of Ng Mui, who teaches
her the rudiments of a self-defense system based on strengths and
skills she already possesses as a noodle-and-beancurd-maker's
assistant. At the end of the month (or whatever) the bandits return
for their answer, and Wing Chun agrees to marry their chieftain if
the greatest of their warriors (the chief) can defeat the least of
the villagers (herself) in unarmed combat. Results fairly predictable.

The history of the era and region in question suggest this could not
possibly be a true story, but it's a pretty standard version of a
folk tale still told. What makes this interesting here is that Wing
Chun kung fu is particularly respected among martial artists for the
clean simplicity and power of its circular defenses. It is, as they
say, all about the circles.

I dunno, just seemed appropriate when thinking about a Kitchen-Aid.

Adamantius