[Sca-cooks] Noddled up!

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 20:03:38 PDT 2007

Thank you osistito, V A and Olwen for your replies. I think I am getting
into the hang of this one.  Anyway as you V A requested  the Perry
translation of the Anon 13th C MSS states:

"Recipe for Fidaush (Noodles)

"This is made from dough and has three types: the long one shaped like
wheat grains, the round one like coriander seeds that is called in
Bijaya (Bougie) and its region humais [literally, little garbanzos] and
the one that is made in thin sheets, as thin as paper and which is food
for women; they cook it with gourd, spices and fat; it is one of the
qataif. Fidaush is cooked like itriyya [see next recipe]."

(Itriyya is marconni.)

    Now yes we have a etymological problem with the word as you can see
I translate qataif to the Americanized Turkish and  now we have atayif
thrown in. That's why my daughter did not continue to study Arabic
because she got to a point where she had to decide which country. To me
no matter how we spell it seems like the same to me with the exception
of regional recipes and progression through history. An explanation of
the progression of the word could as interesting as the recipe itself.
    Yes its seems like we are talking today about

a dessert but Olwen wrote:
> Kataifi is what I use to make nests for garnishes.  I form them into nest
> shapes and bake for a short while, can't recall how long but not long, then
> I boil up a bunch of quail eggs and insert two to three eggs in each nest
> and garnish a tray of (ugly) food.  This type of garnish is one I use for
> our Middle Eastern feasts, which, in my opinion, is usually fairly
> unattactive food and needs a nice or interesting visual focal point in the
> garnish.
    Beautiful! Do we have something like blancmange that was  first
course in the Middle Ages and now is a dessert but you Olwen are using
it as a nest for decor perhaps for some medieval root?
    Bottom line ladies and gentlemen, can we consider this item a noodle
or a pasta or is it a pastry?
    Olwen, by the way, don't know if my Arab grocer here has this item
but am not telling my husband about this entire issue to avoid total
havoc in the kitchen if not  - cause of  the "little" party he is
planning next week.  He will cry for your little nests to be included if
I breathe a word! I have even considered putting a band-aide over mouth
when I go to sleep just to make sure I do not talk in my sleep, although
he says I don't!
    Suey