[Sca-cooks] sugar

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 15 16:06:50 PDT 2007

On 7/15/07 2:57 PM, "Daniel Myers" <edoard at medievalcookery.com> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2007, at 7:50 PM, Suey wrote:
>
>> By the way I have been using only brown sugar of late when I cook
>> as I only prepare 13-15th century dishes. I find it much richer.
>

> The problem with this is that brown sugar is a modern invention, in
> which a little molasses is added to refined white sugar to give it
> added color, flavor, and moisture.

Taking Doc's counsel about how they really did have white sugar in period
and how honey was more likely for less affluent folks... But I realize the
flavor you are going for here, and I recommend you get something more like
the "partially refined sugar" cones that they call piloncillo, available in
Mexican groceries or online here:  http://www.mexgrocer.com/9696.html

It seems hard to bite, scrape or break but it melts easily in hot liquid and
the flavor is quite nice.  AMAZING flavor in candied orange peel or ginger
slices or pumpkin chunks.  Next I want to try it in quince paste.

Selene