[Sca-cooks] Using aloe in food

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 16 08:12:41 PDT 2007

>Aloe vera is the common aloe of the Mediterannean and is very likely what
>is
>being called for as aloe.

>Bear

That was my feeling from my researches as well. But, along with the
obvious health benefits derived from both topical and internal use of
the plant, there are a couple of minor risks or just the possibility of
discomfort to someone drinking my syrup.

Being that the oils appear to be bitter, I figure the aloe was used
to relieve some of the over-sweetness of the sweet apple and
sugar syrup. For this reason I used some basic Lipton teabags in
the simmering. I know it isn't correct but they did add that bit
of bitterness to temper the sweet.

The syrup came out wonderfully, btw. Elizabeth compares the drink
to a hot toddy and it would work great on a cold day.

So, adding the teabags considered a total heresy?

Gunthar