[Sca-cooks] TI's new format was TI Article

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jul 17 05:13:22 PDT 2007

This is the new format of TI. More Short articles of 250 words or
thereabouts.
Even shorter articles accepted/desired. More photos. Less artwork. Very
few feature articles
and those are limited to 2200-2600 words.
If an article has a bibliography, then there's 120 word limit to covers
endnote or footnotes along with bibliography.
Anything over a short bibliography requires that a reader contact the
author or the corporate offices
for the rest of the sources. They are seeking articles or mentions of
humor and travel/big event articles.
They are planning to feature some aspect of fighting, arms, armor, etc.
every single issue.
Someone commented on the SCA Librarian's list that it's not going to be
about the Middle
Ages anymore but more about us.

My article on molds is an example of the new short article, except it's
too long at 385 words.
121 words on the sources.
I don't know where the longer articles will be able to be published in
the future. It's a major concern of mine,
both as an author and as a librarian.

Johnnae

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> I haven't gotten to the peas article, yet. However, I have read the
> excellent, short article in this issue about cookies and cookie molds
> by Johnna, "Replica Subtlety Molds". My only criticism is that I wish
> the article was a bit longer and went into more details and perhaps
> recipes of the types of period cookies which could be made with these
> molds.
Doc wrote--

On the whole I thought it was ok.  It mostly seemed to be a light
history and "how to" piece.  I personally would have been more
interested in something on how peas were cooked and served in period
in different regions.
I also would have liked more reliance on primary sources.  I don't
have it in front of me, but I think the closest they had to a primary
source was "A Medieval