[Sca-cooks] Foods for hot weather....

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jul 18 15:54:22 PDT 2007

There's an easy way to turn these recipes up--
Go to Doc's www.medievalcookery.com and search under summer

You'll find recipes like

Wether with pennyroyal in the summer. Add two handful of pennyroyal
until it is cooked, and some bread crumbs. Temper with water of the
broth, then cast it again in the pot. Eat it thus.
/*Wel ende edelike spijse*, C. Muusers (trans.).
/
Young chickens with raspeite (?) in the summer. Broil them in a pot in
pieces (?). When they are halfway done, add enough wine and some water,
and add grapes, pig fat and enough egg yolks./*Wel ende edelike spijse*,
C. Muusers (trans.).

/Boiled Pigeons. When the pigeons are cooked, take fat broth, take six
yolks of raw eggs, & beat them with white wine, then take a small
handful of finely chopped parsley, & put therein the eggs, & when it
starts to boil, drop the eggs therein, & remove from the fire, for fear
so that it won't turn curdled, in the summer put cranes or egrets
therein. /*Ouverture de Cuisine*, D. Myers (trans.)

/

In summer, which is from St. Urbanus' Day (25 May) to Our Lady's Day the
first (8 September), you shall eat food that does not nourish you too
much nor is too filling, such as goat meat, the meat of a young lamb, a
suckling calf or a ram less than a year old, and young, small greens
such as boiled penet or lettuce, and perhaps for vespers, if you want,
you may eat raw lettuce with vinegar at that time. /This is an excerpt
from *Das Kochbuch des Meisters Eberhard*, G. Balestriere (trans.)
The original source can be found on Mark S. Harris' website
<http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Eberhard-art.html>.
/

/
/Pullets and chicks. Roasted; eaten with Cold Sage [Sauce]. In a pie;
eaten with Green Verjuice [Sauce] in summer, or plain in winter. This is
an excerpt from *Le Viandier de Taillevent*./The original source can be
found on James Prescott's website
<http://www.telusplanet.net/public/prescotj/data/viandier/viandier1.html>./

/
/Johnnae /