[Sca-Cooks] Verjus question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 25 21:45:59 PDT 2007

Pixel, Goddess and Queen wrote:

> Has anybody made verjus at home? I bought grapes the other day and wow
> they're sour, which makes them not nice for eating but maybe they'd
> make
> good verjus. Or am I off-base here?

Unfortunately, I don't think these is a first-hand how-I-made
verjuice story in this file, but it might be of use because of the
other comments in here.
verjuice-msg     (122K)  5/13/06    Medieval verjuice. Modern
substitutions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/verjuice-msg.html

Selene then responded with:
<<< If you want to keep them for any length of time, I suggest
boiling the
juice and using standard canning procedures.  Or, of course, freezing.
Otherwise, it will ferment like any other grape juice and the wine may
be just a bit hard to drink. >>>

I thought period verjuice was unfermented or didn't ferment. If they
didn't have a problem with the juice fermenting, why would Margaret?
Because you fear Margaret's grapes are more ripe? Or a different
type? Or something else? Was medieval verjuice used so quickly that
it didn't have time to ferment?

I can see, at least for the first experiment, using freezing or
canning to simply help make sure there is no contamination by the
wrong beasties though. Or perhaps preserving one half of the batch
and not using any preservation techniques on the other half, just to
see if it will ferment or spoil.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas