[Sca-cooks] Period non-alcoholic drinks class (Long)

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 31 16:46:50 PDT 2007

I finished my period non-alcoholic drinks class this weekend at
the Barony of the Steppes Artisan competition. It went very
well and was one of the better attended classes. As I did with the
open fire class here are some pros and cons of the class.

Cons:
It was difficult to hand out samples of the drinks while I was talking
about them. It kind of slowed things down. Luckily I had two lilttle
helpers who loved distributing the drinks. Unfortunately, I'm not
sure of a better way to handle this. I asked the attendees if they
would prefer me just going through the lecture and then everyone
gather around and sample while I discussed each and they felt the
sampling while I talked was better.

The class was a bit mundane, being in an elementary school computer
training room. But not much can be done about that.

My display items were all very mundane. 2 litre soda bottles, a large
"Bubba Keg" and small Dixie cups.

Pros:
There were a variety of flavors from tart to sweet as well as hot and
cold drinks.

People enjoyed the taste and had personal favorites so the appealed to
a variety of palates.

I had everyone from Laurels to small children in the class and they all
took something different away.

I think this may have been the first class of its kind taught in Ansteorra.

I borrowed a lot from HG Cariadoc's Miscellany and gave him full credit
because
I'm too lazy to translate Al Andalus. I have also developed a much greater
love of Digby. Not being any kind of brewer I'd avoided his drinks but now
I'm really getting stuff from his writing.

I'll be posting the class notes on the period spit project yahoogroup forum
but can also offer them to people who send me a pm.

I'll definately be refining this and teaching the class again.

Gunthar