[Sca-cooks] fat

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 2 16:38:46 PDT 2007

On Jul 2, 2007, at 7:25 PM, Debra Hense/Kateryn de Develyn wrote:

> The translation I am working for just states veal fat.  I have no
> idea other veal is young - very young.  So, I was asking about
> chicken (a softer fat) or lard (a harsher/grittier fat).  I didn't
> think about suet - that's a very soft fat.

I don't think most people would say that about suet, honestly. If
it's cold, it's certainly firm enough to chop, mince, and grate, and
then survive cooking in things like puddings and sausages, or even
sliced as barding fat for roasts.

I wouldn't even think of chicken fat in those terms except in some
very special circumstances (stuffed derma, for example).

Another possibility is fatback (normally that would be assumed to be
pork), if you can find it; sometimes it's very salty, though, and
might need soaking, depending on how it's used.

Again, it's hard to say for sure without knowing the recipe, because
Martino could be going for any of several different effects.

Adamantius