[Sca-cooks] Sugar and rice in Iberia

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:06:20 PDT 2007

and Volker Bach wrote:
> Richard Fletcher speculates that the tipping point lay somewhere in
> the 9th/early 10th century. Before that time, even if both crops had
> been introduced, they would have been limited to market gardens
> catering to the foreign elite (and with strong trade flows in the 9th
> century, there's no reason they couldn't have been imported). Of
> course, by the twelfth century sugar and rice are common crops, so the
> introduction can't have been much later, either. Also, there's little
> reason to think the Visigoths were unaware of rice or sugar even if
> they didn't produce either.

    I have found that rice was cultivated by the Byzantines during the
6th C in southwestern Spain but on such a small scale that the Muslims
had to import in the beginning of their reign and took sacks of with
them when they first went to Valencia. The Fletcher speculation could
hold water as irrigation systems in Al-Andalus were re-established and
expanded between the 8-10th C which could be a factor upholding this
theory. Now we do have Avenzoar (1073-1162) commenting on rice bread
which he claims difficult to digest.  The 13th C Hispano-Arabic
anonymous MSS contains at least a half a dozen recipes with rice in the
title and many more calling for it as an ingredient.
    Stefan as far as the spread of rice is concerned from the Far East
to Europe please see your rice-msg
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/rice-msg.html  The answer
there is pretty clear :-D . Rice that was first cultivated in Spain by
the Muslims was around Seville and then spread over Al-Andalus and
northeast to Valencia. It had to have taken hold there by the time James
I conquered it from the Muslims in 1231 as Christians continued to grow
it as happened in Seville when it was conquered by Castile. There
Christians found 34% of the land dedicated to rice production.
     I think we talked about sugar before. Anyway Maria Teresa Castro
estimates that Muslims began planting sometime between the reigns of the
first three Ad la-Raman's, Umayyad rulers (760-961). During the 9th and
10th centuries it spread in Al-Andalus and areas around Seville
particularly. By 1150 Granada used 74,000 acres to cultivate it  and 14
sugar mills.
Suey