[Sca-cooks] ratatouile!

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 11 04:43:39 PDT 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 12:01 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> We liked it also. Much more than Cars last summer.

I confess I'd gotten so sick of Pixar animation attempting to turn
random everyday objects ("Pencils!" Sorry, compulsive brainstorming
habit.) into 63-minute long cartoons, I didn't see it until yesterday
(after this thread began).

For the most part, it was a lot of fun; I especially loved the
depiction of the sort of 19th-century-looking kitchen with its modern
equipment. The brief look at the rarity of women in traditional
kitchens, and what they experience and feel, seems to be pretty much
on the money.

But for viewing experiences, you know you're in a large American city
when someone shouts angrily back at the screen, "THE PEASANT DISH IS
THE CONSCIENCE OF A CULTURE!!!" and they get a long round of applause...

Adamantius, non-eggplant-fan who made ratatouille for a living every
day for two years...