[Sca-cooks] Using aloe in food

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jul 13 13:28:31 PDT 2007

Aloe seems to be coming back into Spanish cookery.
"My trip ended at El Poblet
<http://foodandwine.com/hotels/property.cfm?id=9539>, the region’s most
talked-about restaurant, which sits on a coastal road near Dénia, a once
picturesque fishing village overrun with German vacationers. Joining me
for lunch was my friend Santos Ruiz, a rice agronomist. El Poblet’s
chef-owner, Quique Dacosta, who is self-taught and looks like a hipster
professor, has earned a reputation as Spain’s leading young talent—and
recently a second Michelin star—by subjecting obscure local flora and
marine fauna to truly alchemical treatments. Lately, he’s been
experimenting with aloe vera, which he discovered has miraculous gelling
and emulsifying properties. And he’s been playing with "mineralization,"
using metals and minerals to create tour-de-force dishes like oysters
Guggenheim Bilbao, designed to look like the museum. The dish is made up
of mollusks warmed over juniper charcoal, swathed in a veil of oyster
essence and an edible alloy of titanium and silver, and decorated with
silvery scraps of edible paper."
http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/spains-next-food-mecca

Johnnae