[Sca-cooks] Using aloe in food

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 13 15:33:52 PDT 2007

On Jul 13, 2007, at 5:06 PM, Kathleen A Roberts wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:57:40 -0400
>   "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
> <adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:
>

>> <sigh> I remember when Kathy Casey came to New York from
>> Seattle in
>> the 80's with her plastic confetti garnishes, thinking
>> it was the end
>> of the world...
>
> plastic confetti garnishes?
>
> cailte
> not much of a foodie then...

Yes, plastic "jimmies" in bright colors. I'm not sure if the idea was
that you'd brush them off your food before eating them, or if they
were supposed to pass harmlessly through the digestive tract, but
yes, this chef came from Seattle to new York and made a big splash
for maybe 20 minutes on the New York food scene with Pacific-
Northwest-inspired-but-otherwise unremarkable food, covered with
brightly colored, gold, and silver plastic jimmies on non-desserts.

I _think_ she's managed to live it down and actually acquire a
reputation for real food.

There was a short-lived TV series called Tattinger's in the late
80's, wherein Mary Beth Hurt portrayed a character based on the real
Kathy Casey. I think she put plastic on the food in the TV show, too...

Adamantius, eternal foe of all inedible garnishes, and most non-
incorporated, non-component ones as well