[Sca-cooks] Using aloe in food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 15 23:17:30 PDT 2007

Gunthar asked:
<<< I don't want to serve aloe tea to my guests who could
experience several digestive problems in the process.
Could anyone indicate a substitute for the bitter? Maybe
even a regular teabag would work. Or perhaps the translation
is either incorrect or a different plant was used that was called
"aloe".

Any ideas?  >>>

My first thought as aloe vera, which is used in food items, but I
think that aloe vera is a New World plant. Wikipedia mentions its use
in Pakistan and India "for centuries", but that doesn't necessarily
mean it is period.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas