[Sca-Cooks] period food preservation-- tell me about your experiments

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 25 21:33:39 PDT 2007

Jagwiga asked:
<<< Hey, everyone--- I'm looking for stories about your attempts to try
period food preservation techniques. Yes, this is for my class.

I know about Lord's Salt and am going to use it for some beef...
Adamantius, you had very good luck with one of the compost recipes
keeping for years in your fridge, didn't you? Which one was it, do you
remember? >>>

You can find some stories and personal experiences in the various
files in the Florilegium having to do with food preservation.
Unfortunately, in this case, I tend to have such stories buried
within the general files on food preservation, so you have to wade
through each file a bit to find them.

This is one I can think of right away which might be of interest:
Lrds-Salt-Exp-art (15K)  9/11/00    "Lord's Salt Experiment" by Lady
Hauviette
                                        d'Anjou.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Lrds-Salt-Exp-art.html

I would be interested in hearing of others experiments and tales, as
well.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas