[Sca-Cooks] Ginger Substutes

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 30 19:27:20 PDT 2007

Gentle Lady,

Fret not.  You do not have to replace the ginger, because ginger is not
required.  I can't find my copy of Platina, but the translation of that
recipe in _Pleyn Delit_  just says "spice".  Several other Italian
cookbooks don't mention spices at all, just cheese and some (optional)
sugar.

There may be period recipes for armored turnips that call for ginger,
and I'm sure that many redactions do, but it's not an essential
element.   I f you want to spice the turnips, what about pepper and a
dash of cinnamon and/ornutmeg?

--

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom