[Sca-cooks] Daikon was Digest, Vol 15, Issue 1

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 21:28:41 PDT 2007

Greetings,

I have done this several times, I use modern boiling
water canning to process (check for times appropriate
to your area) They seem perfect in about 3 months and
get soft and mushy after about 3 years.  This recipe
is adaped from "The Folk Art of Japanese Country
Cooking" by Gaku Homma  With the color and the chile
it is not period, without them it may be based on
period, but the book is definetely modern.

Daikon pickles (takuan)

1 daikon (sorry no info on how much.
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 chile pepper (optional)
yellow food dye (optional)

Peel and rinse the daikon.  Cut into long chunks (6"
is sushi length or as tall as will barely fit in your
jar.  Cut each chunk in half lengthwise to create the
traditional half round shape and place in sterilized
jars.  Add whole or parts of chile to each jar if
desired.
Combine all other ingredients in a non-metal sauce pan
and bring to a boil.  Pour hot brine over daikon in
the jars, leave some headspace.
Place lids and tighten rings to fingertip tight.
Process in a boiling water canner for 15-20 minutes
(or refrigerate till serving)  Pickled daikon is ready
to eat in 48 hours, but is much better in 2-4 weeks.

NOTE: Daikon shrinks CONSIDERABLY during canning - if
it barely fit the jar at first, it will float freely
by the end of the processing time.

Yes, the very traditional version has you DRY the
radish for a while (week or two) before pickling, but
this is how I have always made it, and it seemed to be
quite acceptable at 12th night.

In Service
Gwen Cat