[Sca-cooks] Hispano-Muslim Desserts

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 16:54:28 PDT 2007

Phil answered to my blancmange message:
> Well, what _does_ become a dessert prior to the 17th century, unless
> perhaps you mean wafers, confits and hippocras? ;-)

Ever hear of marchipan, pastries, fritters, fried milk, fruits, olives
and a whole list that could be medieval a dictionary filled with
desserts which I do have 12 years in the making by the way! Since Ziryab
re-introduced us Spaniards to what we call desserts in the 9th Century,
I do nothing but collect alfarjores, bunuelos etc etc. As a matter of
fact last year I edited a little part of a collection of Hispano-Arab
desserts from convents in Santiago, Chile for a dear friend of mine
here. I always mention this book in speeches cause its going to be
published in Spanish/Chilean at Christmas time this year and I'm dying
for a copy as I have been able to read a lot of the text. I entered into
consultation cause the Conquistadores brought concubines of Arab origin
fleeing from the Inquisition so we have desserts in convents of Arab
origin in Santiago that have been forgotten in Spain but not on this
continent. The Hispano-Muslim converts started entering convents with
Philip II cracked down on the Conquistadores' morals. In Chile we one of
the first women we know about is Ines Suarez who came Pedro de Valdivia,
conqueror of this area who left his wife in Spain, and brought with him
as his lover. Ines Suarez as Isabel Allende readers well know was
neither of Muslim origin nor did she enter a convent. Converted
concubines of  Hispano-Muslim heritage and their daughters did enter
convents between Philip II and for other reasons to become nuns. Part of
their dowry consisted of recipes. Fascinating material.
Suey