[Sca-Cooks] Wikipedia article on Medieval Cuisine

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Jul 30 17:57:59 PDT 2007

Howdy,

Wikipedia has a nice long article on Medieval European cooking (see
URL below).  Unfortunately, it was written by someone who relied
exclusively on tertiary sources (and has in essence said that working
from primary sources is a bad thing).

All that aside, it looks to me that there are many sweeping
generalizations, iffy speculations, and a couple of just plain wrong
things that are presented in the article as fact.  Further, the
complete lack of proper citations makes it almost impossible to
determine where he found the "facts" he presents.

While I can (and will) correct what I can, the original author has a
bit of a bug up his skirt about me (I haven't publicly called him a
blithering idiot or anything ... yet ... though it gets more
difficult every day) and he is very likely to revert any change I
make and argue every point.

However, if others here would check out the article and make any
corrections that they can (with proper citations), the article could
soon be of a quality suited to the "Featured Article" rating that it
currently has.  That's what scares me, that the equivalent of a long
book report is the highest quality at Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_cuisine

Please do what you can, otherwise I'll have to do it myself ... and
it'll be sloooow and painful.

- Doc

-=-=-=-
328. Take Yong Wortys and Rybbys of Venysoun, an blawnche hem, an
than take it vp, and pyke it clene in-to a fayre potte, an sette ther-
on Red Anys in comfyte, or ellys Allemaundys blaunchid, and serue
forth.  [The Boke of Swyllyng]
-=-=-=-